Your finished lamb shanks will be fall apart tender! I served these with steamed carrots and purple waffle fries but serving over mashed potatoes would be amazing! My family just isn't really into purple mashed potatoes and purple taters are the only thing I had on hand at the time so I opted for waffle fries. Will plan better and serve with mashed potatoes next time!
- 4lbs lamb shanks
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil , separated
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion, chopped (white, brown, yellow)
- 1 carrot , finely chopped (optional, but recommended)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3.5 cups beef broth (I used 4 beef bouillon cubes + 3.5 cups water)
- 3 cups merlot (Note 2)
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 4 stalks fresh parsley
- Season shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over high heat. Add 2 lamb shanks and cook, turning, until browned. Place browned shank in the crockpot then repeat with remaining lamb.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, garlic, onion, and carrot. Sauté for 5 minutes until onion is softened.
- Add flour. Mix into onion mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix together - don't worry about the lumps, they will dissolve while cooking.
- Pour over the lamb in the crock pot. The meat should be mostly submerged. Turn crock pot on low and cook for 8 hours. If you don't have room for all of the liquid in your skillet, don't worry. Just add what you can and add the rest to the crockpot.
- Remove lamb into a bowl.
- Optional: Strain sauce into a bowl. Use spoon to press into onion etc to squeeze out all the flavourful liquid. Pour sauce into a sauce pan
- Increase heat to medium high and reduce liquid by half or until it thickens to a syrup consistency - this step is optional but totally worth it! There will be quite a bit of juices left over, so you can make just a portion of them into sauce if you want. *Your juices will reduce down by about half so spoon out however much you think you might want as a finished product and then double it.*
- Return lamb shanks and juices pooled in the bowl into sauce to reheat, then serve with creamy mashed potato, garnished with parsley.